Wednesday 31 January 2018

Meet the Author - Misha M. Herwin


Writing is, by and large, a community. And the best way to develop in the writing world is to network with other writers. With this in mind, I would to welcome Misha M. Herwin, who has recently launched her latest book, Shadows on the Grass, and has agreed to visit the Writer's Block to answer a few questions.



1. First of all, tell us a little about yourself and your writing. 
I am Misha Herwin and I write books for adults and for children. I’ve also written plays which have been performed both by a professional theatre company and in schools. My short stories have been published in various anthologies in the UK and US; including The Way to my Heart, Voices of Angels, The Darkest Midnight in December, The Yellow Room, and Bitch Lit, among others.

2. Tell us about your new book. 
Shadows on the Grass slips between past and present and tells the story of a Polish immigrant family who find themselves in Bristol after the Second World War. The Poland they knew has gone. It has become part of the USSR and they have to start a new life in a new country. It also goes back into their past which helps to explain the family dynamics. To sum it up: In 1960s Bristol, seventeen-year-old Kate is torn between the new sexual freedom and her rigid Catholic upbringing. Her parents have high expectations of her, but she is determined to lead her own life. Her grandmother Mimi is dying. In her final hours, her cousin The Princess keeps watch at her bedside.  Born in the same month in the same year, the two women are bound by their past and a terrible betrayal. Meanwhile, caught between the generations, Mimi’s daughter Hannah struggles to come to terms with her relationship with her mother and to keep the peace between her daughter and her husband.

3. What is your favourite place to write? 
I like to write in my office, which is crowded and messy but full of books and photos and pictures that are special to me. That, however, is not always possible and I often work on the train when I go down to Bristol to see family. I like to plug in the laptop, buy a cup of coffee, and get immersed in my latest WIP.

4. Are there any authors you would like to meet and why? 
I’d like to meet JK Rowling and ask her how many times Harry Potter was turned down. There is such a mythology about this book that I’d be curious to learn the truth.

5. Have you ever based a character on someone you know? And if so, did they ever find out? 
I did once write a play for a youth group and the characters were tailored to the kids who would play them. I didn’t mean anyone to know but the mother of one of the main characters came up to me afterwards and said “You really got our Clare.” Luckily she was pleased because the character Clare was playing whinged and moaned throughout the whole piece. It taught me to me much more careful the next time.

6. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done in the name of research? 
Sorry, not done anything really crazy. (Well not in the name of research for a book)

7. What’s the best advice anyone gave you? 
Best writing advice is a) read, read and read some more. Which is easy for me because I’ve always loved reading. b) Try to write every day. When I do the WIP comes more easily and I feel happier, because I’ve done something creative even if I’ve only had 20 minutes to do it.

Thanks for hosting me on your blog. If you want to buy a copy of Shadows on the Grass  HERE is the link.

Thank you for joining me today, and I wish you every success with Shadows on the Grass.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...