Saturday 4 August 2018

Asterix Marathon - Wrap-up

I didn't have a menhir
Phew, that took a while.

I've really enjoyed doing this marathon, because it was great to revisit the Asterix stories I read as a kid, gaining a new appreciation for them in the process, while also reading the volumes which passed me by.

Rather than do a top five, I figured I'd pick my favourites from each period of the series, maybe with a few honourable mentions.

The Early Period (1959-67)
The first three comics in the series were simply Goscinny and Uderzo trying to find their feet in terms of humour and drawing style, but they really picked up with Asterix the Gladiator. Many regarded Asterix and the Banquet as a step back due to the more insular humour, but the series really took off with Asterix and Cleopatra. However, I think my favourite story from this period has to be Asterix the Legionary.

The Post-Protest Period (1968-79)
This was when the series truly peaked, with Goscinny incorporating more adult satire. We looked at the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sports (Asterix at the Olympic Games), recession (Asterix and the Cauldron), urban planning and the labour movement (The Mansions of the Gods), election campaigns (Asterix and Caesar's Gift), and economics (Obelix and Co.). I loved the bleak prospects of Asterix and the Cauldron, and the more adult humour of Asterix and the Laurel Wreath, but my pick from this period has to be Obelix and Co.

The Solo Period (1980-2009)
With Uderzo acting as writer and illustrator, these stories were released more sporadically, so there's not as many to choose from. There's also a lot more experimentation in these stories, which sometimes pays off. I'd say my favourite has to be Asterix and Obelix All at Sea for its darker story and truly poignant moments. But I also rate Asterix and the Black Gold and Asterix and Son.

The New Period (2013-)
It's not easy to find one's feet when taking over a well-established series. Ferri and Conrad needed to hit the ground running, and they managed it. Since there's only three to choose from, I'll simply say that the best story at the time of writing was Asterix and the Chariot Race. They seem to be releasing albums every two years now, so I guess I'll be obligated to review the next one when it comes out.

Anyway, thank you for joining me this past month, and I'll be posting again soon. It's now August, which means I'll soon be going on my annual visit to Swanwick.

I'll post the write-up of my third visit soon. In the meantime, happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...