Saturday 1 February 2020

Firefly Marathon: Wrap-up

Well, I've come to the end of the TV series, and I'll review the film later.

Short-lived as it was, I think that Firefly is a great show. I love the dynamic between the characters, and they all seem realistic and believable, plus they produce tons of memorable dialogue. I love the imagination behind the world-building, with the blending of Western and Eastern cultures within the Old West aesthetic. I also love the independence themes, and the notion of living away from conventional society and out of the government's reach. In recent months, this has been something which rings true for me.

I think my top five episodes are as follows:

5) Shindig - I love the "fish out of water" element, and the sword fight between Mal and Atherton
4) Out of Gas - I love how it shows the characters at their bleakest, and how this is interspersed by flashbacks of how they joined the crew
3) The Message - Another one with poignant moments, along with some great humour and badass moments from the crew
2) Trash - A great caper story with interesting twists and humour
1) Jaynestown - One of the funniest episodes, but the situation also gets pretty deep at times

That's about it. Watch this space for my review of Serenity, but for now I'll end on a song.
Keep flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...