Tuesday 8 March 2022

"Playing Out" the Work Day


I realise I haven't posted much on here lately. Well, working in an internship while also taking care of a ghostwriting commission does make things pretty hectic at times. With this in mind, I thought I'd discuss a new ritual I've adopted.

Since I work remotely, I've been told it's important to have a ritual at the end of the work day. Especially because I live in a studio flat and don't have a lot of room for a dedicated office space. My internship's part-time, which leaves with time to work on my writing, and I've been trying to accommodate both as best as I can. For example, I have very strict "office hours" in my internship, and have made it clear that I don't respond to any calls and emails outside of this time. That's one way of maintaining discipline when working from home. But I also found another practice.

Since I've been doing a lot of work in the Western genre lately, my parents opted to give me a harmonica for Christmas. I've been dabbling in it, just finding a few tutorials online, and have recently adopted a ritual I like to call "playing out". When I finish work for the day, I do some harmonica practice before I work on my writing. I sometimes find that playing some period-appropriate tunes can get me into the right mindset. 

With that in mind, I've been teaching myself an old cowboy folk song, "Red River Valley". I've just about got the hang of that one, and am now trying to play it from memory. I've also found tutorials for a couple of songs from O Brother Where Art Thou?. I've managed to pull of "You are my Sunshine" and am practicing "Man of Constant Sorrow", while seeking a few other tunes to add to my repertoire.

Well, that's all I've really got to say. For anyone else who works remotely: What are your end-of-work rituals? Feel free to share them here.

Either way, happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...