Sunday 16 April 2023

Five and Twenty Ponies #1 Trotting Through the Dark

 

Kestrel sat against the railing and fidgeted as he listened to the creak of the sloop. He watched the smart-dressed Captain De Groot pace up and down the deck, looking him and Scar over.

“I’m not one to pry in the personal affairs of others,” the captain spoke with a thick Dutch accent. “But how is it that two men are out sailing on open sea in a leaky boat that barely holds one?”

“Budget travel.” Kestrel grinned.

“On the open seas? You must be a fool.”

Kestrel shrugged, as he noticed Scar nod in agreement.

“And I suppose your giant is an ever greater fool for travelling with you.”

“Captain, take my word for it.” Kestrel leaned back in his chair. “Scar is a reliable man, especially when you need a certain degree of…menace.”

“Thank you, but I have little need for that.” De Groot pointed behind them.

Kestrel turned, seeing a man with braided hair loom over them.

“This is The Nord,” De Groot said. “If you cause me trouble, you’ll have to deal with him. Now, since I’ve saved your lives, you owe me a debt.”

“You may have gathered from our former vessel that we don’t have any money.” Kestrel folded his arms.

“Then you’ll have to work.” De Groot loomed over him, “I wouldn’t advice taking that tone with your new captain.”

“What kind of work?” Kestrel asked.

“Smuggling.” Scar said.

“So, he does have a tongue?” De Groot said. “Yes. I’m ferrying a consignment of goods to Charlestown. Things people want quickly, and things I don’t want to pay import duty on. Understand?”

“Business you want to keep clandestine.” Kestrel said.

“Precisely. And because you know this, you have a choice: remain on this ship and work for me until I say otherwise; or you can leave right now, and join that little tub we found you in.”

Kestrel felt The Nord's hard stare.

“He’ll make it quick.” De Groot leaned against the mast. “What’s it to be?”

“Very well.” Kestrel nodded. “I’ll join your crew. But I don’t wish to stay. How much will we owe you?”

“You’ll sail with me until I say otherwise." De Groot wagged a finger. "This is not a negotiation. And if you think of trying to abandon the mission, I will find you. I have contacts in most of the ports around here.”


*


Kestrel stood at the bow and viewed the Carolina coastline in the late afternoon sun.

“Seven days cooped up on this bloody boat.” He said as Scar stepped behind him. “I hope there’s a decent night life in town.”

Scar remained stone-faced.

"You two get over here!" De Groot barked at them. "Time for you to earn your keep."

"You mean we haven't earned our keep from swabbing your decks?" Kestrel said. 

"Everyone pulls their weight on this vessel." De Groot pointed over the railing. "Now, check the boat."

Kestrel looked overboard to see a small boat with some cargo: two small casks, a medium-sized sack, and a large box. 

“Here’s where you deliver and what’s owed.” De Groot handed him a list and a sealed envelope. “The people who gave me that letter paid good coin to see it delivered and threatened dire consequences if I failed. If that happens, I’ll give them your heads. Now get some rest. You leave tonight.”

He strode back to the cabin.

“I’ll let them have my head if it means I don’t have to listen to his bluster.” Kestrel mumbled to Scar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...