Friday 22 April 2016

Regarding Guy Hamilton (And Prince)

I read a Facebook post last night which said "I'm starting to suspect that George R.R. Martin is the author behind 2016."

Yesterday, the musician Prince was taken from us too soon at the age of 57. To be honest, I didn't have much exposure to his work, other than a couple songs used in Tim Burton's Batman and the most risqué joke ever to appear in Animaniacs.

However, we also lost film director Guy Hamilton, who directed four of the Bond films (Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Live and Let Die, and The Man with the Golden Gun). Having spent last October watching all the Bond films, I think it's obvious whose work I've had more exposure to.

To be honest, I don't think these were the greatest films in the series - even Goldfinger. I enjoyed it, but I think it has some major issues which I talked about last October. But despite that, I find that all those films still had some memorable moments. Everyone remembers the famous cutting laser scene from Goldfinger, along with the boat chase from Live and Let Die.

If we're not talking about Bond, then I'd also like to mention the Colditz Story, one of his earlier works. That was also a very enjoyable film, with some great tension along with some very touching moments and even a bit of comedy.

Rest in Peace, Guy Hamilton. Just like Prince, your work will always be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...