Monday 1 May 2017

A Weekend at The Hurst

The Clockhouse
Happy May Day. I've just got back from a weekend in the Shropshire Hills, staying at a writers' retreat organised by the Arvon Foundation - because Swanwick only happens once a year and August is still a way off. For those who don't know, I talk about Swanwick here.

Based on farmland between Clun and Clunton, The Clockhouse provides all the privacy a writer can want: Four flats, each with a bedroom, study, and bathroom - and a shared kitchen and lounge on the ground floor. It's self-catering, but all food is provided - you just need to bring your own booze.

The Ideal Workspace
Unlike Swanwick, this place was a retreat rather than a school, so I didn't have the same level of interaction I had at Swanwick. I mostly spent the days writing in my flat or wandering the grounds - Shropshire is a very pretty area after all.
However, I was able to meet with the other attendees in the evenings to discuss work and progress.

Overall, it's not Swanwick, but it's not meant to be. It's a cozy place to hide away and write - and I'll probably go back there in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...