Tuesday 5 February 2019

Favourite Duos #10 - George Milton and Lennie Small (Of Mice and Men)

I thought I'd start my countdown by looking at the main protagonists of John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. I'm sorry to invoke bad memories of English GCSEs for people, but these two migrant workers in Depression-era California certainly are a duo with a dynamic. I think most "Brawn and Brains" duos owe a lot to these characters.

George is a somewhat small man who is very intelligent despite not being educated. His closest companion is Lennie, a much larger man with a developmental disability.

While Lennie is what TV Tropes refers to as a "Gentle Giant" who likes stroking animals and soft materials, his biggest flaw is that he doesn't know his own strength. This is established early on through an argument which reveals that Lennie had been accused of rape after feeling a young woman's dress, and is also known to accidentally kill the animals he tries to pet. It's something which develops conflicts throughout the story.

Meanwhile, George is acting as a caretaker since the death of Lennie's aunt. He's constantly frustrated by the trouble Lennie brings on them both, but he has no intention of abandoning him. In a time where prospects were bleak for most people, Lennie's dream of owning a farm and tending to rabbits serves as a driving force for George. This means that George needs Lennie just as much as Lennie needs George.

I probably don't need to mention how this dynamic eventually plays out, because most of you know already, and I prefer to leave it a surprise if you're fortunate enough not to. Plus I'm hearing the sirens from Kill Bill in my head and want to steer this away from "I hate exam boards" territory.

While I may not have taken the mental aspects of the duo, I've certainly borrowed from the physical elements in my own work. Especially from Lennie.

I'll see you tomorrow for a duo I thankfully didn't have to write essays on at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...