Wednesday 1 January 2020

New Year, New Plans

It's 2020. Happy New Year. No, I don't have resolutions. You can't break promises if you didn't make them to begin with.

That said, something I would like to do is try and get more people interested in the Savage Worlds roleplaying system. This isn't necessarily a resolution, as it's more of an ongoing thing.

Back in Freshers' Week, I was manning the stands for the university's Game Society. During this time, I was approched by the owner of a board gaming cafe which caters to the tabletop roleplaying game community, who asked if I wanted to run a weekly game there. Seeing an opportunity to expand my player-base to "public" games as well as Society-exclusive ones, I accepted. Unfortunately, I didn't get any players, so I discontinued my sessions.

I put this down to a need to promote things a little more, combined with existing brand loyalties. The bulk of games running at the venue were predominantly using 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons (5e), which seems to be the most ubiquitous system at the moment. Those games were also mainly sword-and-sorcery fantasy. I was told another person who was running a science fiction game had trouble getting players.

Another major issue was character creation. I lost four potential players at my first session because they were put off by the character creation mechanics of Savage Worlds. I think the main issue is that Dungeons & Dragons uses set classes, whereas Savage Worlds doesn't. While this allows more freedom and versatility, I can see why it would scare some people away.

With this in mind, I've been looking at running tutorials for new players, especially those who are accustomed to 5e. While this would mean running a simple D&D-style fantasy setting, it's as simple as saying "Tell me your race and class, and I'll talk you through it from there".

Fingers crossed I get some takers.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...