Tuesday 6 April 2021

Franchise Reviews - The Shrek Films (Wrap-up)

The Shrek films seem to be a classic case of sequelitis. Shrek 2 is a strong film and remains strong to this day, while its predecessor is also strong but hasn't aged well. The third and fourth films were disappointing.

Overall, the series is well-animated, there's some cool action scenes, and I kinda like the soundtrack choices. I'll often recognise any song if I've heard it in a film.

I also think each film does convey some good messages rather than re-hashing the same one:

  • Shrek: You shouldn't judge people without getting to know them first
  • Shrek 2: You shouldn't have to change just to please somebody else
  • Shrek the Third: Don't let your past or status define you
  • Shrek Forever After: Be thankful for the things you have
I also like some of the "modern pop culture in a fantasy world" tropes. When it makes sense to have them, it's really funny.

There's been talk of doing a fifth film, but I'll probably pass on that one.

Anyway, I've got other projects to work on.

Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...