Thursday 31 May 2018

Moving On

Albert Camus once said "Without work, all life goes rotten. But when the work is soulless, all life stifles and dies."

I've recently come out of employment. And if you've been following my tweets, you can probably guess that it wasn't the best parting of ways. Or that it wasn't my choice.

Well, I suppose it was. I took the job for granted and I vented about it in the wrong places more than I really should have. I've been at this particular job for a year and a half, and it was exactly that; a job. I didn't want a career. I just wanted to write. And because I don't have kids to support, I guess I felt like my job was getting in the way of my writing. They did what they had to do.

On one hand, I'm actually kind of glad. Every day I woke up and said to myself "What's the point of me coming in? I'm not doing myself any favours." or "I'll spend the day tweeting, reading scripts, and browsing TV Tropes. It's not like any of this matters."On the other hand, I should have handled it better.

So, what now? Well, I've wanted to spend more time on my writing, more so since I discovered Swanwick. I had actually been making plans to leave, go to university, and do a creative writing degree. Well, that hasn't changed. I still want to do that. The corporate world is no place for a resentful writer with a Peter Pan complex. I think I need a few years to practice some self-discovery.

Yeah, I had it coming. Yeah, you're nodding as you're reading this. This probably isn't helping my cause, but I have to talk about it.

Anyway, I'm going away for a few days to help mull things over. I'll still be writing and blogging about other ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Hunter's Christmas and Other Stories

  Happy New Year. Christmas is over, but some places might still have their decorations up while the supermarkets already have Easter eggs o...