Thursday 27 June 2024

The Mandalorian Marathon - Wrap-Up


Well, that was a fun month, and it was nice to revisit one of the first live-action series set in the Star Wars universe.

The Mandalorian serves as a pretty good Space Western. I love the action and the characters, and it's nice to see other stories in the wider world of Star Wars. The first two seasons are pretty solid, but I think the decision to continue Din and Grogu's story in The Book of Boba Fett made it difficult to maintain a coherent story. The pacing of the third season was pretty slow as well due to a lack of a clear goal until the end, even if there were still some solid episodes within that season. Granted, the first season didn't have a clear goal beyond keeping Grogu safe and keeping flying. Kinda like Firefly.

If I was to tidy up the third series, I'd have the Din and Grogu-focussed episodes from The Book of Boba Fett as the first two episodes of the third season. You could then cut a lot of exposition from the actual first episode of the season. Secondly, I'd cut out the episode with Dr Pershing. He barely appeared in the previous two seasons so it seems odd to give him a day in the limelight. It would make Elia Kane's appearance in "The Pirate" more tense.

Anyway, because there were only eight episodes in each season, I'm going to do a "pick of the season" for each one (excluding The Book of Boba Fett).

For the first season, it's a toss-up between three. I liked "The Sin" for the emotional depth, "The Prisoner" for the humour and catharsis factor, and "Redemption" for the blazing action. Ultimately, I'm going to say "Redemption", and give the honourable mention to "The Prisoner".

For season two, I'm set on "The Tragedy" as my pick of the season. It's got some great action, the return of familiar faces, and our protagonist at one of his lowest points. For the honourable mention, I'm going with "The Passenger" for its atmosphere.

Finally, my pick for season three would have to be "The Mines of Mandalore". Again, I love the tense atmoshpere and horror element it provides, along with the development it gives to Bo-Katan. My honourable mention would go to "The Pirate" for the epic battle between the Mandalorians and the pirates.

As for the future? Whether they do a fourth season or a movie, I'll probably look at that later down the line.

But for now, I've got a book to format. That's right, I'm publishing The Lady's Favour at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Mandalorian Marathon - Wrap-Up

Well, that was a fun month, and it was nice to revisit one of the first live-action series set in the Star Wars  universe. The Mandalorian  ...